Saturday, January 14, 2012

Magnet Frame using a vinyl stencil

Dang it I need to remember the before and after pictures!
When I was cleaning out my craft closet, this magnet board with a wood frame was sitting in there, so I pulled it out and worked on it since it would be a "quick" project.

It was previously kind of splatter painted hot pink and black. I slapped some grey acrylic paint on and was going to add a touch of yellow afterward. No big deal.

But then I thought about a lattice/trefoil design. And my silhouette. And the vinyl I had just sitting there.
But because it was already gray, but I wanted the design in yellow, I added about 6 hours onto my project time. Here is the end result! I'm happy with it, but wish it would not have taken so long.

Photobucket



To make this, I found an image of some fabric online and then used that on my Silhouette machine to cut my pattern out. With the pattern, the lines are the positive space (all hooked together in a single shape) and the trefoil shapes are the negative space (individual pieces). Ideally, when you do a stencil you want to paint your object what color you want your positive space to be first and then you put the stencil on and paint over the negative space with what color you want that to be.

I had already painted my frame gray, which is what color I wanted the negative trefoil shape to be. I thought I would just stick the trefoil shapes back in and then peel off the lines so those would be left for the yellow paint. This took a LOT of time and I don't think I got as clean of a design (which I don't really care about). I should have gone back and painted the whole thing yellow and then stuck the lines (positive space) vinyl on and pained over the yellow with gray to fill in the negative trefoil shaped spaces. Oh well... cest la vie.

Photobucket
ahh! Look at all that imperfection! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...